:sunglasses: 28.1 % :pray: 14 % :laughing: 33.3 % 🧥 1.8 % :cry: 14 % :🤗 7 % :poo: 1.8 %
By Youngian
The All New KevS wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:43 pm
Crabcakes wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:35 pm Apparently a 25-year-old man has been arrested. Obviously this is an absolutely appalling event, but what worries me now is who this man is. Because with a cruel home secretary like Patel and a shameless opportunist in Johnson, I dread to think what they might use a tragedy like this to force through in the knowledge that any opposition will be presented as endorsing murder.
GBeebies (yes, I know) are reporting that the perpetrator is a Somali national. If so, prepare for the discourse to plunge to new depths.
As Javid has been out in East Africa panhandling for NHS staff, the Tories should watch their step before they ramp up anti-immigrant rhetoric. OK it was Kenya not Somalia but all these African countries look alike to Johnson’s voters.
By Abernathy
So it’ll definitely be classed as a terrorist attack, then.

Expect a public backlash bizarrely (because it’s a freeloading lying MP - one of them wot’s only in it for what they can get, right - and not a fine young soldier cruelly struck down by damned darkies) probably falling short of that provoked by the awful killing of Lee Rigby.

This fucking country ……
By Bones McCoy
Youngian wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:41 pm
The All New KevS wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:43 pm
Crabcakes wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:35 pm Apparently a 25-year-old man has been arrested. Obviously this is an absolutely appalling event, but what worries me now is who this man is. Because with a cruel home secretary like Patel and a shameless opportunist in Johnson, I dread to think what they might use a tragedy like this to force through in the knowledge that any opposition will be presented as endorsing murder.
GBeebies (yes, I know) are reporting that the perpetrator is a Somali national. If so, prepare for the discourse to plunge to new depths.
As Javid has been out in East Africa panhandling for NHS staff, the Tories should watch their step before they ramp up anti-immigrant rhetoric. OK it was Kenya not Somalia but all these African countries look alike to Johnson’s voters.
Not only "might" they look alike, but national borders count for rather less than some people think they should here.

A good example is the description of Hashi Mohammed's's extended family in his book "People like us" (Reviewed very positively on these pages).
Last edited by Bones McCoy on Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Youngian
Abernathy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:42 pm So it’ll definitely be classed as a terrorist attack, then.

Expect a public backlash bizarrely (because it’s a freeloading lying MP - one of them wot’s only in it for what they can get, right - and not a fine young soldier cruelly struck down by damned darkies) probably falling short of that provoked by the awful killing of Lee Rigby.

This fucking country ……
Its happened on Johnson’s watch so racists might be philosophical about it. Who will they blame?
By kreuzberger
In DE, we had the murder of Walter Lübcke, a pro-immigration CDU figure, back in 2019. This was a little more black and white insofar as it was at the hands of the fash, but, for all the "something must be done" outrage, nothing has changed.

The Kreuzette knows many prominent Greens and I know both Kevin Kühnert and Franziska Becker (SPD) reasonably well. KK is obviously a bit of a star and has international cut-though, Franziska less so, but neither of them has any particular detail or close protection. We'll probably see each other at the footie on Sunday. We might even have a beer together.

Covid to one side for a moment, being an MP in the UK is now statistically one of the most dangerous professions in the land but, unless there is a wave of "revenge" attacks, I believe that that democracy is immeasurably harmed if it hides in the cupboard under the stairs, especially if this is proven to be the handiwork of one nutter of Somali heritage.

"What have we become?" suggests that something has fundamentally shifted in society. As horrific as Amess' killing has been, I am far from convinced that this is the case, even if being Diane Abbott is a tough gig tonight and any night.

Being a GP on the Island right now looks infinitely more dangerous.
By davidjay
Fuck me but there's some sanctimoniousness around tonight. We can't politicise, can't say anything bad about the Tories, can't criticise. But it's alright for the biggest-selling newspaper in the country to call the judiciary Enemies of the People and for guests on mainstream TV channels to call for migrants to be drowned .
By The Weeping Angel
davidjay wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:36 pm Fuck me but there's some sanctimoniousness around tonight. We can't politicise, can't say anything bad about the Tories, can't criticise. But it's alright for the biggest-selling newspaper in the country to call the judiciary Enemies of the People and for guests on mainstream TV channels to call for migrants to be drowned .
Whose been saying that? All I've seen is people expressing horror at this dreadful news.
By davidjay
The Weeping Angel wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:11 am
davidjay wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:36 pm Fuck me but there's some sanctimoniousness around tonight. We can't politicise, can't say anything bad about the Tories, can't criticise. But it's alright for the biggest-selling newspaper in the country to call the judiciary Enemies of the People and for guests on mainstream TV channels to call for migrants to be drowned .
Whose been saying that? All I've seen is people expressing horror at this dreadful news.
Twitter. Where else?
By Bones McCoy
We are better than those people in your examples.
We have a little respect for humanity, and don't see people as mere statistics, or cannon fodder in some culture war.

I make a few exceptions for the passing of real monsters.
There was fine food, song and dance in the McCoy household on the day of Suharto's passing. *
But we knew full well that his leiutenants, sons and international handlers still had hands on the tiller.

It won't do any harm to take a couple of days off.
Let's face it, we've not banned Christmas despite 30 years of full priority effort.

* An eastern despot M'lud.
By Youngian
kreuzberger wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:30 pm In those brief interludes between the broadcast hagiographies and bouts of tearful national mourning, I looked up the voting record of the recently departed member for Kolkata East.

Nicest bloke ever to grace Westminster, you say?
David Amess had been a rentaquote backbencher since the Thatcher era. He backed every reactionary cause going and was a familiar face on Eastern regional TV. He aimed to be a bruiser but his frequent clownish personal insults never punched above his bantamweight.
By Malcolm Armsteen
I didn't agree with him in any respect. I would consider him my opponent.

But not my enemy.

He seems to have accepted people who disagreed with him, and had normal relationships with them, as all of us do, I suspect..

He did nothing which caused him to deserve to die such an awful death, not his voting record or tendency to reflect Tory Taliban views.

If I might be so bold as to suggest, it behoves us to keep that at the front of our thoughts.
Youngian, Nigredo, lambswool and 8 others liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]