:sunglasses: 16.7 % :laughing: 61.1 % :cry: 16.7 % :🤗 5.6 %
By Oboogie
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:53 pm Certainly not. But I don't blame her for what her ancestor did, and it seems to me that to do so would be a singular injustice.

Dare I say virtue-signalling?
YOU don't, but with respect, it isn't about you, is it? We're talking about how the news will be perceived amongst the Irish diaspora.
I'd liken it to appointing an Equalities Minister who was a descendant of Edward Coulson, it's not going to sit well with some people, that may be unfair, but life sometimes isn't.
Nigredo liked this
By Crabcakes
Oboogie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:19 pm YOU don't, but with respect, it isn't about you, is it? We're talking about how the news will be perceived amongst the Irish diaspora.
I'd liken it to appointing an Equalities Minister who was a descendant of Edward Coulson, it's not going to sit well with some people, that may be unfair, but life sometimes isn't.
Thing is, with this PM I would be gobsmacked if he weren't aware of the connection and that it *absolutely* played into his choice because it's a distraction from the myriad other issues in Ireland just now that *he* caused. Ministers with a built-in dead cat - what more could Johnson want?
Oboogie, Samanfur liked this
By Malcolm Armsteen
Oboogie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:19 pm
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:53 pm Certainly not. But I don't blame her for what her ancestor did, and it seems to me that to do so would be a singular injustice.

Dare I say virtue-signalling?
YOU don't, but with respect, it isn't about you, is it? We're talking about how the news will be perceived amongst the Irish diaspora.
I take your point.
By Oboogie
Crabcakes wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:06 pm
Oboogie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:19 pm YOU don't, but with respect, it isn't about you, is it? We're talking about how the news will be perceived amongst the Irish diaspora.
Thing is, with this PM I would be gobsmacked if he weren't aware of the connection and that it *absolutely* played into his choice because it's a distraction from the myriad other issues in Ireland just now that *he* caused. Ministers with a built-in dead cat - what more could Johnson want?
There is that.
By Bones McCoy
We've had Berlin school economics, and Chicago school economics.

Welcome to Neverland school economics.
Dreams do come true, if only we wish hard enough. You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it.
All the world is made of faith, and trust, and pixie dust.
We are being ruled by a bunch of little boys who never grew up.

Deepest Apologies to J. M. Barrie
Youngian liked this
By Andy McDandy
“If you trust in yourself. . .and believe in your dreams. . .and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”
Terry Pratchett.
lambswool, Oboogie, Nigredo liked this
By Bones McCoy
All that buzzing through J M Barrie quotes led to an epiphany last night.

The relationship between Peter Pan and Great Ormond Street is well known.
Barrie had been a supporter long before he signed over his copyright.

Many elements of the Peter Pan story could be seen as a gentle tribute to the patients who didn't overcome their illnesses.

I'm now thinking of a few older relatives who lost a sibling during childhood, and were particularly fond of the story.
kreuzberger liked this
By MisterMuncher
Andy McDandy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:59 am
“If you trust in yourself. . .and believe in your dreams. . .and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”
Terry Pratchett.
Well, Tories aren't really all that big on the whole success through work and education thing.
By Bones McCoy
MisterMuncher wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:30 am
Andy McDandy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:59 am
Terry Pratchett.
Well, Tories aren't really all that big on the whole success through work and education thing.
It all depends on your definition:

Work:
Job daddy got you in the city where you shuffle papers till 11:00, then enjoy an extended liquid lunch.

Education:
Place you got sent at age 7 or 11, fees paid you enjoyed bullying the intelligent and sensitive kids there.
On to Oxford and 3 years of shagging and vandalism (but all done with the right sort of people).
kreuzberger, Nigredo liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]