:sunglasses: 40 % :laughing: 40 % :cry: 20 %
By davidjay
Boiler wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:29 am I think what upsets me most is that it has become so blatant: and yet there are apologists for it amongst their supporters, along the line of "Well, it's not illegal...? " along with "Yebbut Wales."
As a caller to James O'Brien said on Wednesday, "Labour are just as bad."

"Tell me which Labour Prime Minister took millions of taxpayers money."

"They're just as bad."

"Name one."

"They're as bad."

"A Cabinet Minister then."

"Their councillors do."

"How about a minister?"

"They're only councillors."

"Why do the Tories allow their spivs (my word) to rise to high office then?"

"Labour councillors."

And so on.
By davidjay
Boiler wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:57 pm This'll be the James O'Brien who, according to one Essex-dwelling contributor of a motoring forum I foolishly joined, "drips poison for three hours a day".

Fuck Essex.
They've long thought they should control every elected board from school governors to Parliament. Now they think they should control the media as well. A radio station can broadcast right-wing propaganda for 21 hours a day but if they have one liberal presenter they're the anti-British MSM.
By Boiler
davidjay wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:59 pm They've long thought they should control every elected board from school governors to Parliament. Now they think they should control the media as well. A radio station can broadcast right-wing propaganda for 21 hours a day but if they have one liberal presenter they're the anti-British MSM.
To be fair, governments since 1984 have done their level best to control the BBC, either overtly or covertly.

But I thought the Tories were all about "light touches" and it woz Lefties that wanted to control everything? Mind you, I know people who view the current shower as "lefties"... :o
By Andy McDandy
Boiler wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:56 pm
To be fair, governments since 1984 have done their level best to control the BBC, either overtly or covertly.

But I thought the Tories were all about "light touches" and it woz Lefties that wanted to control everything? Mind you, I know people who view the current shower as "lefties"... :o
It's another irregular verb.

I am insisting on basic decency in line with the wishes of the vast majority of right thinking people.

You are cancelling anything that doesn't fit your narrow worldview.
By AOB
Boiler wrote:Yep: that statement has lit the blue touch paper on an anxiety forum I read. One individual said

"I seen [sic] 80,000 dead over the summer"

He's not responded to a challenge where he's seen that figure but it's out there.
The online media's determination to get clicks has led to a lot of cherry-picking of sentences from interviews the last couple of days. The Sky News website is arguably the worst. Sentences are isolated and made into alarmist headlines . Whether it's a medical professional or politician, if they say they think the variant is likely to be more transmissible but then add that it is unlikely to cause serious illness or hospitalisation for those who have been vaccinated, as someone said yesterday (forget who), then only the first part about transmission is headlined. I'm not arguing for everything in the garden to always be painted rosy but I would like a bit less alarmist sensationalism and more context in headlines. I'm not going to get it though. Clicks rule over everything online.
By Samanfur
This seems to've gotten mostly overlooked in the reporting about the Downing Street flat.

But Hancock's doing an important job, so never mind. Right?

Matt Hancock: Report says minor breach of rules over stake in firm

Matt Hancock was guilty of a "minor technical breach of the ministerial code" after initially failing to declare his stake in an NHS supplier.

Lord Geidt - the PM's adviser on ministerial interests - also said the health secretary had acted promptly to correct the record.

Although there had been no conflict of interest, he said there was a "danger" it could have looked like one.

The PM said Mr Hancock's good name had not been damaged by the incident.

And he would not be taking "any further action" in relation to the matter, he added.
Oboogie liked this
By Bones McCoy
I am sick of journalists and phone-in wankers assuring me "He's trying his best" - whether Hancock or Johnson.

"He's trying his best" is a complement for the SEN kid in the class, it isn't at all complementary when we're discussing people at the top tier of national government.
Spoonman, Samanfur, Tubby Isaacs and 2 others liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]