:sunglasses: 50 % :laughing: 50 %
By Andy McDandy
He wants his children to go to Eton or wherever, and come to understand that they are born to command, just as others are born to obey.

The other issues don't concern him much, as he hopes that by the time they inherit the estate, the guards will be free to shoot any interlopers dead.
By Malcolm Armsteen
He, also, has a narcissistic personality. Narcissists believe that they are immune to consequences, the probable effects simply do not compute. It's hard to explain to normal people, but of you have ever read any Larry Niven you will know what I mean by the blind spot.
Human minds refuse to see hyperspace, as do most Kzinti minds. If, for example, a window is present on a starship in hyperspace, the mind of a person looking at it "edits it out" of view by stretching the surrounding objects to fill in the space. This phenomenon is known as the "hyperspace blind-spot".
By Youngian
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:26 pm He, also, has a narcissistic personality. Narcissists believe that they are immune to consequences, the probable effects simply do not compute.
I know a few million in the bank can help form a calm and affable personality but high achievers are also passionate about their goals and are bound to get short and put their foot down. Politicians especially are always seething about something beneath the surface. Mogg comes across as someone who cares about nothing and is very creepy. Maybe it is sociopathy or an ingrained belief that nothing in life will be detrimental to him. Apart from Labour putting up his taxes.
By Malcolm Armsteen
Youngian wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:54 pm
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:26 pm He, also, has a narcissistic personality. Narcissists believe that they are immune to consequences, the probable effects simply do not compute.
I know a few million in the bank can help form a calm and affable personality but high achievers are also passionate about their goals and are bound to get short and put their foot down. Politicians especially are always seething about something beneath the surface. Mogg comes across as someone who cares about nothing and is very creepy. Maybe it is sociopathy or an ingrained belief that nothing in life will be detrimental to him. Apart from Labour putting up his taxes.
It was the next bit of my post that was the important bit. The blind spot.
By Rosvanian
Rees Mogg is yet another right wing politician who makes me ponder on the long lost faith of my younger years. Here is a man who claims to guided by his Catholic faith yet everything about him appears to directly conflict the tenants of Catholicism I was taught 50 years ago. Sometimes I wish I still believed that one day Rees Mogg will have to answer to his maker for the way he has lived his life.
Spoonman liked this
By Andy McDandy
Rosvanian wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:42 am Rees Mogg is yet another right wing politician who makes me ponder on the long lost faith of my younger years. Here is a man who claims to guided by his Catholic faith yet everything about him appears to directly conflict the tenants of Catholicism I was taught 50 years ago. Sometimes I wish I still believed that one day Rees Mogg will have to answer to his maker for the way he has lived his life.
His is the Christianity I despise - mealy-mouthed, smug, judgemental, self-important, holier than thou, and decidedly lacking in anything resembling humility, compassion, charity or good works. Very much Aziraphael's "sitting on a cloud laughing at people dying in a nuclear holocaust" type*. For him, religion is more about social status than about anything resembling morality - except to point out the failings in others.

In parts of Africa, they have a saying - ask China for aid and you get aid. Ask Britain and you get the lecture. And if you point out that the lecture doesn't feed people, you get the lecture again.

*Good Omens, a novel by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.
Dalem Lake, Spoonman, Watchman and 1 others liked this
By Crabcakes
Mogg is the same sort of Christian as Hitchens and many US evangelicals - they use cherry picked teachings as a cover for bigotry, and faith as a get out of jail free card for their thoroughly un-Christian behaviour.

It also fits with their general mindset of entirely undeserved but ubiquitously assumed privilege and exception - they believe that they can act like complete shits their entire life and they will still be rewarded in the afterlife for simply believing, but conversely that someone who led a selfless, hardworking life doing nothing but helping others who happened to not be religious would be condemned to eternal damnation.
By Andy McDandy
American nutbag and cartoonist Jack Chick has form for this. One of his strips featured a couple of missionaries who had spent their entire lives helping the poor and sick, only to die and go to hell. There it was explained that their 'sin' had been taking pride in what they did, and in being Catholic. Apparently building a hospital for refugees fleeing war is shit compared to forcing your town's teens to burn their comic books.
By Killer Whale
Andy McDandy wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:01 am American nutbag and cartoonist Jack Chick has form for this. One of his strips featured a couple of missionaries who had spent their entire lives helping the poor and sick, only to die and go to hell. There it was explained that their 'sin' had been taking pride in what they did, and in being Catholic. Apparently building a hospital for refugees fleeing war is shit compared to forcing your town's teens to burn their comic books.
Matthew 7:1
Tubby Isaacs, Spoonman liked this
By Youngian
Jacob needs to hold onto to the GBN show. A chap like Mogg would have trousered a few million from the company for a rainy day. Beyond the reach of potential future creditors.
Somerset Capital Management is to wind down after client redemptions from clients such as SJP made the business unsustainable.

At its peak in 2018, Rees-Mogg’s firm had $10 billion in assets under management, but that has fallen to just $1 billion after SJP terminated, blaming poor performance and a need by the UK wealth manager to overhaul its fee structure as it faces regulatory pressure to comply with consumer duty rules.

Compounding the performance pressure, the firm faced the challenge of incentivising the next generation, as about half of the equity in the business was held by retired partners not involved in its day-to-day running. https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/busin ... ts-364654/
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]