:sunglasses: 33.3 % :pray: 66.7 %
By Tubby Isaacs
Why does Kwarteng think anybody wants to hear more from him?

I reckon the Chief Whip will have been on the phone pretty sharpish. "You know I think it was a brilliant budget, and that the markets got it completely wrong, but can you concentrate on your constituency business for a while? Like the rest of your parliamentary career?"
mattomac liked this
By Yug
Evidence from his own mouth that he wasn't fit to be Chancellor of the Exchequer

Former chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng says he "got carried away" when he announced a huge package of ill-fated tax cuts alongside former PM Liz Truss.

Mr Kwarteng told the Financial Times his biggest regret was being "too impatient" with the mini-budget.

The plans sparked turmoil in the markets, eventually leading to Mr Kwarteng and Ms Truss's resignation.

"There was a brief moment and the people in charge, myself included, blew it," he said.

Reflecting on his time in office, the MP for Spelthorne said there had been "no tactical subtlety whatsoever".

"People got carried away, myself included," he said...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63927502.amp
In my 56 years on this planet, having an active interest in politics for more than 40 of those, I cannot remember anyone in such a senior position of responsibility doing stupid and damaging things because they "just got carried away."

The mind boggles.
By Andy McDandy
It's the massive egoism and lack of self-awareness that gets me. They're never fucking wrong, everything is someone else's fault, and they think people like them. They're all fucking psychopaths.
Watchman, Crabcakes liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
Getting carried away is quite the euphemism there. How many separate mistakes were there?

1) Sacking the Permanent Secretary.
2) Talking about weakening the Bank of England.
3) The tax cuts.
4) Committing over 2 years ahead with the energy package (including substantial subsidies to the very well off).
5) Doing all this without an OBR assessment
6) Suggesting more tax cuts to come.

That's a bit more more than getting carried away.
By Crabcakes
Getting carried away is buying a load of paint for the lounge when you haven’t finished decorating the bedroom you went in to Homebase to get paint for in the first place. Whereas Kwarteng fucked the economy of a whole country by trying a scheme best described by the phrase “grasp-up and punch-down economics” that pumped money to rich people in a cost of living crisis.

Easy to see why he got confused. Because he’s a fucking idiot.
By Malcolm Armsteen
He's a cunt.

I see that his braindead squeeze is promoting a thinkwank to spread her economic insight to other countries. I hope they give her an appropriate response.*

*I imagine Tufton Street are behind this.
Last edited by Malcolm Armsteen on Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Crabcakes
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:50 am He's a cunt.

I see that his braindead squeeze is promoting a thinkwank to spread her economic insight to other countries. I hope they give her an appropriate response.*

*I imagine Tufton Street are behind this.
I’m just bewildered after Trussageddon why anyone entertains the Tufton St imbeciles any longer. They basically rock up complaining everything is shitty when it’s fine, shit themselves, then shit themselves again *while* claiming not to be shitting themselves and not having shat themselves the previous time, complain endlessly about the smell and mess you caused by not believing that they hadn’t shat themselves, then claim to be experts on immaculate personal hygiene who can impart amazing insights for a reasonable fee.
By Andy McDandy
Posh totty.

Ideas sound so much more plausible delivered by a sexy twentysomething (of any sex) insinuating they'll suck you off if you make them a "researcher".
Dalem Lake liked this
By Youngian
Crabcakes wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:36 am Getting carried away is buying a load of paint for the lounge when you haven’t finished decorating the bedroom you went in to Homebase to get paint for in the first place. Whereas Kwarteng fucked the economy of a whole country by trying a scheme best described by the phrase “grasp-up and punch-down economics” that pumped money to rich people in a cost of living crisis.

Easy to see why he got confused. Because he’s a fucking idiot.
This disaster is not far off Nigel Lawson’s tax cut and spend charlatan booms. Heard him defend his profligate ways because it ‘injected optimism’ and gave people a ‘can do’ attitude. Feels strange now that he struck me as a big beast at the time. Similar to struggling as to why I found Jasper Carrot really funny.
By Andy McDandy
As Robert Hutton put it, Big Beast = fat Tory MP you've heard of. All Lawson did was copy what the West Germans were doing, and rely on nobody being bothered (or, banking on British media obsessions, wanting to admit that we were taking our lead from the Hun) to mention it.
Last edited by Andy McDandy on Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Boiler
Sanity prevails in overturning this.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... rt-verdict
In June 2022, Kwarteng vowed to quickly press through changes, “repealing these 1970s-era restrictions” to give “businesses freedom to access fully skilled staff at speed”. The then transport secretary Grant Shapps said it was a “vital” reform to minimise strike disruption.

However, the high court judgment said that Kwarteng showed little interest in evidence or consultation and “his approach was … so unfair as to be unlawful and, indeed, irrational”.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]