:sunglasses: 33.3 % :pray: 66.7 %
By Spoonman
kreuzberger wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:01 pm 48 hours before I need currency, the Turkish Lira no longer finds itself the global laughing stock and claws back a good six percent.

When you're in the market for grilled octopus and gentlemen's accessories, that clips the edge off the coming joy. Bastard Kwazi!
Ironically, a badly weakening pound sterling would normally be good news for the tourism sector in Britain if it wasn't for two things...

1. The peak of the tourist season for foreign visitors is well over and aside from a possible short term boom at Christmas & New Year, won't see any significant numbers again until at least Easter.

And 2. It would have helped if the last few years hadn't seen a large section of the population essentially tell anyone who wasn't a white person that spoke English as their first language to fuck off with great gusto.
Oboogie liked this
By Malcolm Armsteen
I think my assessment in the original post of this thread has been amply borne out...

The Guardian wrote:One MP said: “Kwasi will have to go. She won’t have any option. They are actually crashing the economy and she will need somebody to blame.”

Another added: “It’s extinction level stuff. This is like 2008 but worse. We’re messing with the fundamental principle of providing a home for your family. That’s why it’s different: it’s real stuff. The public won’t forgive or forget.”

Another MP said: “The markets have completely lost confidence in the British government. If you reverse everything, the government falls, so they’re not going to do that. She could sack Kwasi and appoint somebody who could then make a few tweaks. But I think people are seriously underpricing the chance that it’s all over, that this government is dead on arrival.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other
By satnav
An economist on the news this morning pointed out that sacking the permanent secretary the moment he became chancellor didn't really bode well for reassuring the markets that the chancellor knew what he was doing.

Presumably he had to be sacked because he would never have agreed to such reckless measures being introduced.
Oboogie, mattomac liked this
By Malcolm Armsteen
satnav wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:33 pm An economist on the news this morning pointed out that sacking the permanent secretary the moment he became chancellor didn't really bode well for reassuring the markets that the chancellor knew what he was doing.

Presumably he had to be sacked because he would never have agreed to such reckless measures being introduced.
Looks that way.
By Watchman
From The Guardian

Stride is Mel Stride (Con) Chair of the Treasury Committee

Stride reveals that Kwarteng is refusing to appear before the Treasury select committee to give evidence about his mini-budget. The mini-budget was described as the biggest tax announcement for 50 years, and normally a chancellor would come to the committee soon afterwards to take questions on an announcement like this. But Stride says Kwarteng has refused an invitation to appear, and wants to delay giving evidence until after he has delivered the medium-term fiscal plan in late November. Stride called this “disappointing” and said previous chancellors had not acted like this.

Arrogant bastard!
Arrowhead liked this
By Youngian
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:24 pm Thor on a Travelator! Kamikwaze has lost the Financial Times!

Only an opinion piece, but still...

https://www.ft.com/content/e6884fa0-589 ... 4ac743571a
FT has never been a home for wild eyed libertarian economics. I read Kwasi’s approval ratings is seven percent. Doesn’t look like Britannia Unchained* is resonating in Surrey let alone Sunderland.

* Better known as getting Brexit done.
Oboogie liked this
By mattomac
satnav wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:33 pm An economist on the news this morning pointed out that sacking the permanent secretary the moment he became chancellor didn't really bode well for reassuring the markets that the chancellor knew what he was doing.

Same reason he turned down the OBR forecast they had offered to provide.
Oboogie liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
Oh, man. I'm sympathetic to the idea that people a long way down the income scale need to pay more tax to get anything like the services we want. And I had some grudging respect for Sunak in levelling with us about that.

But how does it follow that the highest rates of tax get cut at the same time?

long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]