:sunglasses: 11.1 % :pray: 44.4 % :laughing: 22.2 % :cry: 22.2 %
By Bones McCoy
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:48 pm
Abernathy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:00 pm A grid of shit sounds pretty horrible. Bit impractical, though. How would you get all the shit to stick together in the form of a grid ?
Bristol Type 2 and superglue.
That's the Christmas presents sorted!
By Tubby Isaacs
She's not going quietly. Damian Green isn't exaggerating about the second test. It's basically ignore the law and send them to Rwanda. Sportingly those medically unfit to fly get let off.

She wants Parliament to sit specially over the Christmas recess for this "emergency". Is Hoyle going to agree to that? I expect one of her Heritage Foundation pals told her about a US state that called a special session to do something unspeakable.

By Malcolm Armsteen
These are her five tests. Naked authoritarianism if not fascism (the rule of law over-ridden by political expediency)

Parliament needs to amend the Illegal Migration Act so that it meets these five tests:

The Bill must address the Supreme Court’s concerns regarding Rwanda
Parliament is entitled to assert that Rwanda is safe without making any changes to our Rwanda partnership.
However, for substantive and presentational reasons, it would be preferable to amend that agreement to address issues identified by the judges. This could include embedding UK observers and independent reviewers of asylum decisions.
It is less important whether these commitments are embodied in an amended memorandum or a new treaty.
What is crucial is that they are practical steps to improve Rwanda’s asylum system. On the basis of these new commitments, Rwanda’s safety could be credibly confirmed on the face of the Bill.

The Bill must enable flights before the next general election
Legislation must therefore circumvent the lengthy process of further domestic litigation, to ensure that flights can take off as soon as the new Bill becomes law. To do this, the Bill must exclude all avenues of legal challenge. The entirety of the Human Rights Act and European Convention on Human Rights, and other relevant international obligations, or legislation, including the Refugee Convention, must be disapplied by way of clear “notwithstanding” clauses.
Judicial Review, all common law challenges, and all injunctive relief, including the suspensive challenges available under the Illegal Migration Act must be expressly excluded.
Individuals would, however, be given the chance to demonstrate that they had entered the country legally, were under 18, or were medically unfit to fly – but Home Office decisions on these claims could not be challenged in court.

Swift removal must mean swift removal
Those arriving illegally must be removed in a matter of days rather than months as under the Illegal Migration Act. This means amending the Act to ensure that removals to Rwanda are mandated under the duty to remove, with strict time limits. This will streamline the Home Office process as much as possible, so that the only Home Office decision is to determine whether an individual falls within the scheme or not.

Those arriving here illegally must be detained
Legal challenges to detention must be excluded to avoid burdening the courts, making it clear that detention is mandated until removal.

This must be treated as an emergency
The Bill should be introduced by Christmas recess and Parliament should be recalled to sit and debate it over the holiday period.
Tubby Isaacs, Oboogie liked this
By Andy McDandy
It's an emergency for the Tories, except....no, it's not.

As a recent Russ in Cheshire "Week in Tory" thread says, when polled, the British people are generally very receptive to migrants. Immigration, in terms of "being tougher on", does not produce a polling upswing.

What seems to matter is the Tories losing what few voters they have left by being seen as soft on it. For Sunak, it's important for holding onto his job. For Braverman, it's important as it'll be her main plank in her leadership bid.

It only seems to be important in terms of control of the Conservative party. It has no wider political value, save for pissing people off. Aside from your dyed in the wool racists, even the curtain twitchers of suburbia value Dr Patel and have reservations about a policy of deportation to a place that in many people's minds conjures up images of genocide.

On an entirely objective viewpoint, it has failed on every level. I'm currently teaching project management - if I was using this as a case study, I'd expect my students to recommend it be binned at once.
Abernathy, Oboogie liked this
By Bones McCoy
Today I learned that "Grid" is politics speak for a planned sequence of pres releases dropped in quick succession.
Picture, if you will, those bomber raids which carpeted enemy troop positions with propaganda leaflets.
Come on Fritz, your lot are clearly losing.
Why not surrender and save yourself a sticky end.
p.s. We have Ice Cream.
Another campaigning tip imported from the MAGA lot.

So let's all buckle up and see what Shitgrid Suella has in the bomb bay.
Last edited by Bones McCoy on Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Abernathy
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:33 pm The grid was, I believe, the invention of Alistair Campbell.
I don't think Alastair actually invented the grid. I've been using planning grids, as a campaigns organiser, for decades. Not just me, and not just Alastair.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]