:pray: 66.7 % :laughing: 33.3 %
By Bones McCoy
Once again we see a particularly British problem.

The conceit that a completely unqualified "trier" can walk into he top tier of a technical (whether financial, IT or manufacturing) enterprise, and then succeed through positivity, connections and force of will.

Here's Cameron who claimed he knew all about the business and could punt its services to government.
Now it's gone tit-s up he's all "I don't understand this tricky finance stuff, don't blame me".

I'll float a couple of similar cases - the first particularly close to my cold dark heart.

The Project manager who insists on rigid control, usually enforced through rationing information to the implementors.
When it all goes tits up it's "I'm not technical, it's up to you to spot and resolve those issues".

Or a recent one.

The Brexiteers, with "They need us more ...", "German car manufacturers" and "Think of the fishermen".
Now it's all going tit's up it's "Remoaner saboteurs", "Barnier!!!".
By Andy McDandy
Back in the war, Churchill issued a memo to allied propaganda producers, telling them to cultivate the idea of the spirited amateur, as opposed to the machine-like soulless Germans. Never mind that the opposite was the reality.

But yes, you see it a lot in western culture, the idea that if you stay true to yourself and follow your dreams, you somehow earn your happy ending. Rather than be beaten to it by the people who know what they're doing.
By Boiler
Andy McDandy wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:04 am Back in the war, Churchill issued a memo to allied propaganda producers, telling them to cultivate the idea of the spirited amateur, as opposed to the machine-like soulless Germans. Never mind that the opposite was the reality.
I've seen YouTube videos like that - "tinkerers", "encourage people to have a go". Unfortunately it involves people mending cars, sometimes with the minimum of clue.
By davidjay
Andy McDandy wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:04 am Back in the war, Churchill issued a memo to allied propaganda producers, telling them to cultivate the idea of the spirited amateur, as opposed to the machine-like soulless Germans. Never mind that the opposite was the reality.

But yes, you see it a lot in western culture, the idea that if you stay true to yourself and follow your dreams, you somehow earn your happy ending. Rather than be beaten to it by the people who know what they're doing.
We've had enough of experts. We'll muddle through, just like we did in the war. And it's working so well.
By Youngian
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:49 pm Watching the Panorama programme now. Wow.
Just when you thought you couldn't loathe Cameron any more than you do already. Excellent work from Adam Verity in explaining a very familiar corporate scam; invent sales to raise your stock price and suck in more investors. Who contrary to belief aren't greedy but are looking for stability which a factoring market provides. And the iceing on the cake for this grift in stability is a former conservative PM of a G7 nation. Cameron's case is that he was just Tim nice but Dim who didn't do all this numbers stuff. And of course conveniently didn't take a directorship so he's not legally responsible. His idea no doubt. Fucking weasel was numerate enough to know when to dump his pumped stock. And go to the BoE to explain why loans were needed on stuff he knew nothing about. And Dave's 'renumeration' is a private matter. Gentleman amatuer Dave is really a spivvy conniving cunt just like Farage but in a posher club.
Last edited by Youngian on Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oboogie liked this
By Bones McCoy
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:23 pm I'm assuming there are people owed money by Greensill when it collapsed. Anyone know of a former Prime Minister who could well afford to chip in some money for them?
Yeah, but you know shit like that only happens in the Disney films, right Tubs.

Cameron will have taken good advice to avoid any personal liability and have a couple of layers of shell company between him and and commoners.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
By Andy McDandy
Funny thing, is public school/aristocratic "honour".

Picking someone's pocket, or mugging them, totally beyond the pale. But offering a once in a lifetime opportunity to invest, or taking advantage of an open wallet, well, that's the other guy's fault for being stupid/not reading the small print/dropping their guard.
By RedSparrows
davidjay wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:28 pm For people who regard anything relating to business as vulgar, the upper echelons are surprisingly happy about the right kind of people making the wrong kind of money.
Different strands of upper class. These are the grubby uncultured types, frankly.
By Youngian
Does Sam note to Dave how well Nick Clegg is doing for himself?
After his part in the Greensill Capital lobbying scandal, David Cameron leapt at the chance to help to deliver a shipment of supplies for Ukrainian refugees in neighbouring Poland. The former PR man naturally made sure his mercy mission was well-documented on social and traditional media.

The former prime minister has been finding speaking engagements thin on the ground since the Greensill story broke

I’m told what really hurts Cameron is that it’s his wife, Samantha, who is now the real breadwinner in the household, with Cefinn, the fashion label she started after giving up on designer stationery, about to report record profits.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/canny- ... e-good-pr/
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]