:sunglasses: 50 % :laughing: 50 %
By Tubby Isaacs
I think most countries had the same problem- get the Covid payments out the door to stop the economy collapsing- and will have had fraud problems. That isn't to say that the Treasury (or as he here means, Rishi Sunak) doesn't care about fraud. It's trying to get money back, but they've got to put an estimate in the accounts for what they won't get. I've seen no evidence that Sunak did anything but sign off the numbers the accountants put before him. On the other hand, this is what they'd do to us, so I'm not going out to bat for Sunak. Though, it is a bit surprising that a fellow Tory would go down this road.

It sounds like a reasonable sort of thing to be a public body, pulling together stuff from scams across the country and all levels of government. I don't think even Nick Clegg would have abolished this in his "cull of the quangos" phase. But I guess Jacob wants to tick off some civil servant job cuts.
By Andy McDandy
The difference was that in the UK the desire to source PPE was matched by an urge to get rich quick.

The speed at which paper companies were set up, or "found" in the bottoms of drawers, the way reputable companies that actually manufactured PPE were locked out, suggests a very coordinated fleecing of public funds.
Oboogie, Boiler, Watchman and 2 others liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
Andy McDandy wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:57 pm The difference was that in the UK the desire to source PPE was matched by an urge to get rich quick.

The speed at which paper companies were set up, or "found" in the bottoms of drawers, the way reputable companies that actually manufactured PPE were locked out, suggests a very coordinated fleecing of public funds.
Fair point on PPE, though some of the "spent X on PPE that's no longer usable" is unfair- of course they bought lots of it. I was thinking of the furlough and business support.
By Watchman
Jacob Rees-Mogg to sell London offices as civil servants work from home
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other

Or the start of a fire sale to his mates, before the Tories are chucked out of office
Spoonman liked this
By Malcolm Armsteen
Watchman wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:25 am Jacob Rees-Mogg to sell London offices as civil servants work from home
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other

Or the start of a fire sale to his mates, before the Tories are chucked out of office
That was the plan (partly enacted) c2000 when they wanted civil servants to do hybrid working to ease travel problems and reduce office space...
By Tubby Isaacs
He's talking a brave game about jobs being moved out to regions.

"Hey, your job's moving out of London"
"Is it? Where?"
"Derby"
"I like Derby, but my kids are at a good school here, and my partner's just been promoted in their job. So, no thanks!"
"Um, how about if we let you work from home?"
"Yeah OK".
By Abernathy
Jacob Rees-Mogg should never be allowed within a thousand miles of any sort of governmental job or function. That alone is one of the finest reasons not to vote Tory there has perhaps ever been.
mattomac, Oboogie, davidjay liked this
By Andy McDandy
Seen the clip of him getting roasted by Ed Miliband and some Lancashire tory over fracking? Serious "I've told you once..." public school teacher energy, and clear he (and the government) have no strategy beyond "piss off the libs".
mattomac, Oboogie liked this
By Abernathy
Rees-Mogg is malign, avaricious, arrogant, self-entitled, and spectacularly, crashingly, inept at the actual craft of politics itself - nominally at least his bread and butter.

Today’s performance in the Commons crystallised all of this. The man is a disgraceful, absolutely worthless human being.
By Andy McDandy
Interesting anecdote by Ros Wynne-Jones in yesterday's Mirror. They were contemporaries at Oxford, and RWJ remembered trying to get period products provided for free in a student union committee, and who should turn up but Mogg, purposely to filibuster it out.

So, unsurprisingly a cunt back then.
By Crabcakes
His interview on the NewsAgents podcast was excruciatingly poor. Smug, lecturing and utterly transparent. All everyone else’s fault and the run on the pound was a result of global issues, no empathy with people’s financial woes, and attempting to pass it all off as practically nothing and a ‘rounding error’ and just the right policy at the wrong time.

He is absolutely the worst sort of Tory to put up for interview at the moment, yet they have to have him as there’s more or less no one else left.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]