:sunglasses: 33.3 % :pray: 11.1 % :laughing: 55.6 %
By Oboogie
Youngian wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:38 pm Is there any evidence beyond six decade old hearsay from Harold Wilson that national sporting event fortunes can alter election results?
Not that I've ever seen. One claim I often see, that England winning the World Cup helped Wilson, is easily debunked (the election was in March, the football in July). That said, even if there was an impact in Wilson's day, when there was no means of recording or watching on catchup, it's minimal now as people who are interested in sport and politics can watch both.
By slilley
Oboogie wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:45 pm
Youngian wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:38 pm Is there any evidence beyond six decade old hearsay from Harold Wilson that national sporting event fortunes can alter election results?
Not that I've ever seen. One claim I often see, that England winning the World Cup helped Wilson, is easily debunked (the election was in March, the football in July). That said, even if there was an impact in Wilson's day, when there was no means of recording or watching on catchup, it's minimal now as people who are interested in sport and politics can watch both.
In fairness England lost to West Germany in Leon in 1970 2-3 having led 2-0. That was a few days before polling day in June 1970 and Labour lost.

Simon
By Spoonman
Youngian wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:57 pm Backbench Tory eyes are swivelling like a 70s office chair
If they seriously think that is possible & actually pulled it off, you're only making yourselves look like even bigger arses when the election eventually comes...

Youngian wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:25 am Politics of envy swamps the party of individual choice.
Hey, they're getting six weeks notice of (potentially) losing their jobs, which is six weeks more than P&O workers get.
By Tubby Isaacs
The BBC's coverage of the election is online, and I've watched it (or rather had it on in the background). I don't recall anybody mentioning football.

Isn't it generally agreed that some disappointing trade figures nailed Labour?
By Rosvanian
Over on Spiked, Brendan's not happy because Nigel wants to hang out with Donald these days because people have said nasty things about Nigel which upsets Brendan and it's just not fair because Richard isn't as good and Brendan's sick of Marina making fun of all of them.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2024/05/2 ... -dead-yet/
Oboogie liked this
By Youngian
Rosvanian wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:14 pm Over on Spiked, Brendan's not happy because Nigel wants to hang out with Donald these days because people have said nasty things about Nigel which upsets Brendan and it's just not fair because Richard isn't as good and Brendan's sick of Marina making fun of all of them.

Makes you proud to be British. The whole point of populists is that they’re only popular until they govern. Or not govern and blame those who have to implement their shit. As all Continental hard right parties have dumped their Eurosceptic positions, Brexit indeed had a domino effect. Yes you are a cockwomble, Brendan.
Our vote for Brexit in 2016 made waves that reached as far as Middle America, Australia, France, Sweden, Italy. We pushed the first domino in a worldwide offensive against the morally exhausted globalist elites. And yet now, you’ll search in vain for a halfway decent populist politician on this sceptr’d isle. Even Farage is packing his bags.
By Andy McDandy
I'm reading Alistair Campbell's "But what can I do?" at the moment, and I like his definition of populism: policies that sound superficially good but are either impossible to enact, or are actually detrimental to the people voting for them.

Meanwhile, Brendan should consider that among the things the genuine working class don't do is read fucking Spiked.
Rosvanian, Samanfur, Oboogie liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
I've made my first "intervention" in the general election campaign.

Typically, it's sticking it to the Green candidate in my constituency who's been talking up herself as the challenger to Sir Bill Wiggin. I've pointed out that there was an election in Herefordshire (PCC) last month, and Labour (and indeed the Lib Dems) got triple the votes the Greens did. Sure, law and order isn't really a Green Party issue, but equally their voters are higher engagement than average, and I don't see them winning over many of the very many voters who only show up for General Elections. Labour also got double the Green voters in the last election.

The Green candidate herself is a likeable local councillor who hasn't replied, but I've had someone else hit me with "genocide supporter Tory Starmer".
Oboogie liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
Sure, he's entitled to pick anywhere he wants, but I've never looked at Richard Tice and thought "Bet he holidays in Skegness!" No doubt Mike Graham will be on his back, having said Ed Milliband being MP for Doncaster North is somehow ridiculous.

It seems like Reform have faded. They needed Farage to run. What exactly is his role now?

By Watchman
Rosvanian wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:14 pm Over on Spiked, Brendan's not happy because Nigel wants to hang out with Donald these days because people have said nasty things about Nigel which upsets Brendan and it's just not fair because Richard isn't as good and Brendan's sick of Marina making fun of all of them.

What a fucking whining little brat
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]