By Oboogie
Bloke who's good at one thing is crap at something else.
Isn't that true of all of us?

Why would anyone think that someone who's brilliant at cricket would have any knowledge or skill as a politician, they are two totally different disciplines demanding very different skillsets?
Last edited by Oboogie on Thu May 02, 2024 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Youngian
Tice is going to have recruitment problems at this rate.
Another Workers party candidate will be the former Labour MP for Derby North Chris Williamson.

The party also unveiled the former Ukip MEP Amjad Bashir, who defected to the Conservatives in 2015 and will stand in Pudsey; two former British ambassadors, Peter Ford and Craig Murray.

Another former Ukip candidate now with the Workers party is Harry Boota, who was suspended as a Tory candidate in 2016 after suggesting homosexuality could be the result of being abused as a child.
Some candidates have a background in fringe causes. The South Northamptonshire candidate, Mick Stott, is a former soldier who tried to recruit “common-law constables” to outnumber the police, who he believed were acting unlawfully during lockdown. https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ty-panesar
What does the Catholic Church teach about having half a dozen kids to different women and even moving to a different country to do it?
Oboogie, Tubby Isaacs liked this
By Watchman
Oboogie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:06 pm Bloke who's good at one thing is crap at something else.

Why would anyone think that someone whose brilliant at cricket would have any knowledge or skill as a politician, they are two totally different disciplines demanding very different skillsets?
Yes, they’ll be putting Botham in the House of Lords next
By Bones McCoy
davidjay wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:32 pm I'm not much of a cricket fan but wasn't he generally thought of as a decent bowler but a bit daft?
"Monty" had several mental health episodes.
One made the news in a fairly spectacular way.

It probably only received attention from cricket dorks.
Had it been Freddie Flintoff or Kevin Pietersen they'd have run days of it on prominent pages.
By Bones McCoy
Oboogie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:06 pm Bloke who's good at one thing is crap at something else.

Why would anyone think that someone whose brilliant at cricket would have any knowledge or skill as a politician, they are two totally different disciplines demanding very different skillsets?
Hey, if Imran Khan can pull it off ...

Imran Khan is in prison in Rawlipindi.
Oboogie liked this
By Crabcakes
While this is very much true of all of us, what isn’t is that most of us appreciate we’re crap at other things and don’t try and do that thing on a national level based on the assumption we’ll be good at it based on our talent at other thing.

The worst case scenario though is when you’re not even remotely any good at the main thing either, but think you are, and then you turn your cack hand to something else and are equally bad if not worse at that (see: the prime ministerial career and written portfolio of one L. Truss)
By Bones McCoy
Crabcakes wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:52 am
While this is very much true of all of us, what isn’t is that most of us appreciate we’re crap at other things and don’t try and do that thing on a national level based on the assumption we’ll be good at it based on our talent at other thing.

The worst case scenario though is when you’re not even remotely any good at the main thing either, but think you are, and then you turn your cack hand to something else and are equally bad if not worse at that (see: the prime ministerial career and written portfolio of one L. Truss)
Bear with me while I ramble on sport-philosophy.

Cricket is perhaps unique in forcing many well-regarded players to do things they aren't good at.
In Panesar's case, he's in the team to bowl slow with an old ball - that's his strength.
The format of the game also requires him to bat.
He's not good at that, goes in last and usually gets out very soon after.

You can make it in cricket, while being crap at some aspects of the game.
Speculate whether this insulates retired cricketers against imposter syndrome.

Other sports funnel their stars extremely aggressively, but provide a career for "doing one thing extremely well".
Nobody expects most Rugby wingers to take a turn in the front row of the scrum.

Now that football has generous substitutions, it's extremely rare for an outfield player to have to play in goal.
The stars do the thing they're best at, at an elite level, then physical deterioration forces them to stop.

Speculate whether this is the root of so much post-retirement delinquency.
By Tubby Isaacs
Youngian wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 am
What does the Catholic Church teach about having half a dozen kids to different women and even moving to a different country to do it?
Galloway's "social conservatism" isn't even popular any more. I await Paul quoting some brown Muslims and saying "lots of people agree with what they say about gays".
By davidjay
Bones McCoy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:58 am
davidjay wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:32 pm I'm not much of a cricket fan but wasn't he generally thought of as a decent bowler but a bit daft?
"Monty" had several mental health episodes.
One made the news in a fairly spectacular way.

It probably only received attention from cricket dorks.
Had it been Freddie Flintoff or Kevin Pietersen they'd have run days of it on prominent pages.
I had no idea about his mental health. All I know about him is that he had an image of being a bit of a joke figure when he wasn't bowling.
By Oboogie
Youngian wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 am Tice is going to have recruitment problems at this rate.
Another Workers party candidate will be the former Labour MP for Derby North Chris Williamson.

The party also unveiled the former Ukip MEP Amjad Bashir, who defected to the Conservatives in 2015 and will stand in Pudsey; two former British ambassadors, Peter Ford and Craig Murray.

Another former Ukip candidate now with the Workers party is Harry Boota, who was suspended as a Tory candidate in 2016 after suggesting homosexuality could be the result of being abused as a child.
Some candidates have a background in fringe causes. The South Northamptonshire candidate, Mick Stott, is a former soldier who tried to recruit “common-law constables” to outnumber the police, who he believed were acting unlawfully during lockdown. https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ty-panesar
Galloway was on Lewis Goodall's new LBC show this morning. Goodall played him that tape, Galloway went full Trump: denied saying the things he was filmed saying, accused LBC of editing the recording and flounced.
Goodall then played the whole segment, as Galloway had insisted, which, if anything, made it even worse.
In summary: there are only two genders "not 96", gay relationships are "not normal", nor are they "equal" to heterosexual ones and children should not be taught that they are. I expect Galloway thinks this will play well with his supporters - and he may be right.
By Malcolm Armsteen
Many years ago, before our consciousness was raised, I was faced with a problem when a Muslim parent insisted that I withdraw their child from music lessons on religious grounds. Indeed the father stressed the boy's religious purity by telling me that he frequently cut or stabbed himself... Younger me was perplexed by this, and I phoned the Imam at the Regent's Park Mosque (it was so long ago that it was the only one that came to mind). I asked him if this was a general Muslim requirement. No, of course not, he replied. In Islam we love music, but to some primitive backwoodsmen (his words)music leads to dancing and jiggling the body about leads to sinful thoughts, rather like seeing a short skirt, and then men can't help themselves.

I think that distinction still exists and Garglewax exploits it.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]